a stupefying kind of grace

amazing grace how sweet the sound.. that saved a wretch like me..
as i sit here in a dim dusty east vancouver attic i'm reminded of how often those words have spoken such relevance into my life. i'm reminded of how God's amazing grace saved me and brought me out of a dark dank place alot like this attic i now call home.. i'm reminded of how i could never do this thing called life alone but because of God's incredible love He is with me every step of the way.. and as i sit here reflecting on all that's happened these past two and a half weeks i'm reminded to be thankful for all the blessings my God.. my Saviour has bestowed upon me in this life and the next..

for two and a half weeks the salvation army building on 1st and commercial has been my home. we've been living in a dimly lit attic.. helping out with whatever we can. we've mostly helped out with the youth programs here at New Beginings Baptist Church. and as off the wall and just plain crazy these kids are i've come to love them tremendously.. they've come from such destructive places that i can't help but have a heart that burns for them.. by walking up and down commercial street either hanging out with some youth, soaking in the life, or praying for this city.. God has opened my eyes to the world.. Jesus has shown me what He Himself saw as He walked the streets of Israel.. my eyes have been opened to what is a broken, dirty, hurting, evil, rotten world.. but all i can.. all i want to do is show this city how much God loves them. to bring Jesus Christ to the homeless and poor of this city.. to fit as many of these hurting youth into my arms as possible and give them a big squeeze from God.. but most of all to see a revival started in Vancouver that comes from of an uprising of Christ followers in the community of 1st and commercial.. it may seem impossible but God can do it! i believe this.. i have to believe this.. i haven't any other choice.. if He couldn't how could i still follow Him? but like the Gleaners cut away the rottenness of an apple to reveal a beautiful fresh fruit.. God does the same with us. i've seen it in my life.. i've seen it in the lives of people down here.. join me in praying for this people.. in praying for this city.. and let's watch God make new what society won't even look at..

i hitched a ride.. i was a beggar.. i had murder on my hands.. i needed water to rinse these stains.. but only blood could remove what's spillin'.. and pardon me the blame.. hallelujah grace like rain falls down on me.. hallelujah all my stains are washed away.. they're washed away..

5 comments:

Eleonore Wiens said...

You are a wonderful example to me and I am incredibly proud of the fine young christian man that you have become!! I am praying for you and the team as you head to Brazil in less than 1 weeks time. That the experiences that you've had here in Vancouver will have been a preparation for you and will help you in your ministry in Brazil. I love you with all my heart and wish the very best for you!! My prayers will also be with the New Beginnings Baptist church as they continue their work in reaching out to the people of Vancouver. Keep us posted!!

Jill said...

Andre,
That's beautiful, it made me tear up! What a great God we serve, who really does love our city, and really can restore, what to us seems impossibly broken. Thanks for sharing your heart.
You and your team are constantly in my prayers.
Bless you Andre,
Jill

Thomas said...

thats awesome bro, we definetely are very blessed and who knows where we'd be if it wasnt for Gods grace. Keep thinking and praying big and God will do amazing things - il definetely keep you, your team and all those you meet in my prayers
love ya

Yuji said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yuji said...

Hey Andre i find it crazy that God is placing you in places that I have been before. You are going to Brazil Lord willing and you are now working with the youth of the Salvation Army and New Beginnings Baptist. Those are the same people and youth I have had contact with the last couple of years. I am good friends with Pete and Marnie and their family, and have gotten to sort of know Joe Russell and his team. God has been good to you I see and I know he will continue to bless you through those times that you see broken people, but only broken if they don't know the amazing love of the Saviour we serve!!! Praying for you and your team!!!